Where do diamonds come from? If you said, “the Earth,” you’re right. And if you said, “a lab,” you are also right. So, what’s the difference? Earth-mined diamonds, also referred to as simply ‘mined diamonds,’ have long been the standard for engagement diamonds, diamond earrings, and other diamond-studded treasures. However, new technology has given these “below ground” precious stones a run for their money with the creation of lab-grown diamonds, an “above ground” alternative.
This article will break down a few reasons why lab-grown diamonds have surged in popularity, seeding their place in an incredibly competitive market. First, let’s start with the most common question our customers ask.
Are lab-grown diamonds real diamonds?
Yes, lab-grown diamonds are real. They have the same chemical, physical, and optical properties as earth-mined diamonds. They also have the same durability, beauty, and brilliance. Even with a 10x loupe “diamond tester,” a jeweler using a traditional gemological observation and technique cannot tell a lab-grown from an earth-mined diamond. Only a laboratory-trained gemologist with advanced equipment can reliably distinguish them.
Lab-grown diamonds are surging in popularity for one simple reason: people love them. Here are five reasons why:
1. They are authentic diamonds. There’s nothing artificial about lab-grown diamonds. They feature the same chemical and physical properties as earth-mined diamonds. You’d need to be a laboratory-trained gemologist with highly advanced equipment to distinguish the difference between a lab-grown and a mined diamond.
2. They are exceptionally high quality. The 4 Cs govern diamond quality: clarity, color, carat weight, and cut. Compare a lab-grown diamond side-by-side with a similar mined diamond, and the chances are high that the lab-grown stone rates higher in all four categories. This phenomenon is because mined diamonds have ingrained impurities from their growing environment, whereas lab-grown diamonds form in controlled environments, lending more purity.
3. They are cost-effective Another reason why lab-grown diamonds have made a name for themselves is that they’re easier on the pocketbook than mined diamonds. These high-quality stones make diamond engagement rings, diamond earrings, and other diamond jewelry more affordable without sacrificing quality.
4. They allow you to purchase a bigger diamond for the same budget. Because lab-grown diamonds cost less than their mined alternatives, you can get a bigger diamond for a comparable price. When creating custom diamond engagement rings or diamond earrings and size matters to you, consider lab-grown diamonds for a spectacular showstopping piece.
5. They are environmentally sustainable. Beyond authenticity, quality, and price, there’s another reason why lab-grown diamonds are gaining traction: they’re easier on the planet’s natural resources. Without having to displace upwards of 100,000 pounds of earth to mine a one-carat diamond, it takes less precious energy to create diamonds in a lab.
To learn more about lab-grown diamonds, check out our page on natural vs. lab-grown diamonds.
If you’re wondering where to find lab-grown diamonds for sale near you, look no further than our conveniently located shop in Doylestown. Led by our Graduate Gemologist Greg Glemser, our family-owned operation is trustworthy, honest, and reputable. Having mastered the art of customer service, we treat all our guests with respect and work hard to help you feel comfortable here. Choose us for fair pricing and an exceptional experience you can’t get anywhere else. Request an appointment online or contact us to learn more.